Super Duper Carrot Cake
Makes two 9 in. x 13 in. x 2 in. pans. Go big or go home.
- 1 two-pound bag of organic carrots (yes, a lot)
- 3 cups white sugar or organic crystals (or 1 1/2 cup white, 1 1/2 cup brown if you like the flavor)
- 2 cups oil. Maybe ¼ cup more if the mix appears dry or stiff.
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups wheat flour (or corn flour or wheat bran or gf flour–whatever you've got)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger or more, if you like it zingier. (or just 2 teaspoons dried ginger)
- ½ teaspoon dried lemon peel powder
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
Optional but fun: golden raisins, chopped apples, crystalized ginger, nuts.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour pans.
- Grate carrots using food processor. Yes this is a lot of carrots. You will fill the entire bowl of the processor. Don’t worry it will still taste like cake. Use organic carrots so you don’t have to peel them.
- Combine dry ingredients in a huge bowl.
- Add carrots. Have your kids thoroughly mix carrots into dry ingredients with their hands taking care to break up clumps of shredded carrot.
- Combine wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and stir until incorporated. Don’t go nuts.
- Scoop into pans. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Usually takes 35-45 minutes for cake, 20-25 minutes for muffins. Top should be golden brown, center will be firm.
Frost with gobs of cream cheese frosting or simply dust with powdered sugar right before serving.
by way of Trish Wesley Umbrell