This loaf can be made with any cooked mashed squash, yams, or sweet potatoes.
This tripled recipes makes FOUR 8 x 3.75 x 2.2“ pans.
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease pans.
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp grated or ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
Combine in a small bowl:
- 1 cup milk or water
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat in a large bowl until fluffy:
- 18 tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) butter, softened OR 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 cups sugar OR 3 cup sugar plus 1 cup packed brown sugar
Beat in, one at a time:
- 6 large eggs
Add and beat on low speed until just blended:
- 3 cups cooked or canned pumpkin puree
Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk mixture, beating on low speed or stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth and scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- 1 1/2 cup coarsely shopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup raisins or chopped dates
Pour into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on the rack.
source: Joy of Cooking tags: vegetarian, can be made pareve