This loaf can be made with any cooked mashed squash, yams, or sweet potatoes.
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9×5“ loaf pan.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
Combine in a small bowl:
- 1/3 cup milk or water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat in a large bowl until fluffy:
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, softened OR 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/3 cups sugar OR 1 cup suar plus 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
Beat in, one at a time:
- 2 large eggs
Add and beat on low speed until just blended:
- 1 cup cooked or canned pumpkin puree
Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk mixture, beating on low speed or stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth and scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- 1/2 cup coarsely shopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/3 cup raisins or chopped dates
Pour into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on the rack.
source: Joy of Cooking tags: vegetarian, can be made pareve