This is a yummy change from banana bread. The two secrets to making this are: 1) you must use over-ripe, juicy and flavorful pears and 2) do not over-mix. This should be stirred by hand (like most quick breads) to be extra moist and tender. This keeps nicely for several days.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar (a little less is OK)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups grated peeled ripe pears with juice (about 2 med-large…..asian variety tastes best)
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (the 7 remaining ingredients).
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients folding until just moistened.
- Add 1 cup chopped pecans if desired (tastes great without).
- Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes.
Source: Joy of Cooking by way of Maria DiMaggio
tags: vegetarian, pareve