- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon instant yeast
Mix all of the ingredients until well blended. Cover the bowl, and let rest at room temperature for 12 to 20 hours, until the mixture is very bubbly.
- biga (from above)
- 2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- Mix the biga with the remaining ingredients for 2 to 4 minutes, using an electric mixer set on slow speed. Increase the mixer speed to medium, and mix for about 4 minutes; the dough will be soft and slightly sticky. Add additional water or flour if necessary.
- Let the dough rise in a greased bowl, covered, for 1 to 2 hours, until very puffy.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, and shape it into a 6“ x 12” square. Using a bench knife or pizza wheel, cut out eight 3“ square rolls. Place the rolls, floured side up, onto parchment paper. Let them rise for about 45 minutes, lightly covered, until they're puffy.
- Place a baking stone in the top third of your oven, and preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bake the rolls for 13 to 15 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Tips from our bakers
- We don't recommend kneading this dough by hand, but you can mix it in a bread machine set on the dough cycle, and transfer it to a greased bowl when the machine has finished the kneading process.
- To bake these rolls without a stone, put the rolls on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for 13 to 15 minutes.
Yield: 8 rolls. Nutrition information
Serving Size: 1 roll (109g) Servings Per Batch: 8 Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230 Calories from Fat: 5 Total Fat: 0.5g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g. Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 580mg Total Carbohydrate: 48g Dietary Fiber: 2g Sugars: 0g Protein: 8g.